What do the new cat laws mean for you and your feline friend?
Important information for all domestic cat owners about the new Cat Act 2011 and the steps required to meet the new requirements that come into effect on 1 November 2013.
From 1 November 2013, all domestic cats must be:
- Micro-chipped - you can microchip your cat at the vet now and help identify your pet if it ever gets lost
- Sterilised - sterilisation prevents unwanted kittens, reduces cat numbers taken to shelters and saves wildlife by reducing the number of feral and unwanted cats in our native bushland
- Registered - registration forms are available at the City of Belmont Civic Centre, 215 Wright Street, Cloverdale.
New cat registration: Register online or submit a new cat registration form (PDF)
Existing registration renewal: Renew online
Completed applications and all required documentation can be lodged with payment by the following options:
By mail (no cash accepted by mail):
Return completed application form and documentation along with a cheque or money order made payable to City of Belmont to:
City of Belmont
Locked Bag 379
CLOVERDALE WA 6985
Submit completed application form and all required documentation at the City of Belmont Civic Centre, 215 Wright Street, Cloverdale. Payment options include: Cash, Cheque, Money Order or Credit Card (surcharge fees may apply).
Cats, once registered, must display their registration tag when in public. The City of Belmont strongly recommends that owners keep their cats on their own property and inside at night.
Holders of Pensioner Concession Cards are eligible for a concession of 50% off these fees.
For more details on cat registrations, please contact Ranger Services on 9477 7224 during normal business hours.
Cat Pound Location and Opening Times
The City of Belmont's Animal Care Facility is located at 12 Midas Rd, Malaga, phone 6310 4555.
Facility opening hours:
Monday to Friday - 9am to 3pm
Saturday - 9am to 12pm
Further information can be obtained by contacting the City of Belmont's Rangers on 9477 7224.
Poundage fees, as outlined below, must be paid in full to the City's Animal Care Facility on collection of an impounded cat.
• $110 for the first three days, increasing by $22 per day thereafter
• PLUS Registration Fees, if the dog is unregistered
• PLUS micro-chipping if required (charge at cost)