Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

 Building Services Applications

Building Applications are assessed using the National Construction Codes, WA Building Act 2011 and Building Regulations 2012, relevant Australian Standards, Local Laws and other relevant legislation.


Building Applications

Generally all structural developments will require a Building Permit to be in place prior to any works commencing. Some exemptions apply under the Building Regulations 2012 Schedule 4 Clause 2. For minor structures such as patios, sheds etc, please refer to the invididual fact sheets to determine whether a Building Permit is required.

Building Permit Application forms and guides for the approvals process can be found on the Building Commission's website. Please ensure all sections of the relevant application form are completed and attach it to your application along with payment of the statutory fees.

No building works should commence until the appropriate required approvals have been successfully granted by the City.

Builder and Owner/Builder Registration

To obtain current information about registration and owner/builders, visit the Building Commission website.

Construction Training Levy (CTF)

Where the estimated value of work exceeds $20,000 for building or demolition applications, a CTF form must been completed and submitted with the application. Forms are available from the front counter at the City of Belmont Civic Centre, 215 Wright Street, Cloverdale, or alternatively contact CTF directly.

Energy Efficiency

As of 1 July 2003, Energy Efficiency requirements were implemented via the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and all buildings (including additions to existing residential dwellings), need to comply. To assist applicants with energy efficiency requirements and with any necessary documentation the City recommends you seek the services of an accredited House Energy Rating Scheme (HERS) assessor. To locate an accredited HERS assessor please visit the link for the Association of Building Sustainability Assessors (ABSA) website.

Crossover Construction

Crossovers construction does not fall within the Building Permit and a separate applications is to be made. For more information click here.

Application to Deposit Material on, or Excavate Near, a Street

If a builder needs to store material on a verge area or a road reserve, an application form is required to be submitted to the City and granted by the City's Building Services. The application form and information sheet can be found here.

Lodgement of Building Applications

Please note fees must be paid in full upon lodgement with the City. Building applications can be lodged using one of the following methods:

In Person
City of Belmont
Civic Centre
215 Wright Street
Cloverdale WA 6105

Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 4:45pm

By Post
City of Belmont
Locked Bag 379
Cloverdale WA 6985

Online Applications can be lodged online. For further details and to view the How to Guide click here.