Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Picture of a group of ladies

 Pensioners, Seniors and Rates Concessions

Pensioners and seniors who meet certain criteria and hold valid cards may be entitled to claim a rebate concession against the current rates and Emergency Services Levy; or a deferment of the current rates and Emergency Services Levy. 
Effective from 1 July 2016 the State Government capped the Pensioner concessions available.
Effective from 1 July 2017 the State Government further capped the Senior concessions available.

To qualify for a pensioner/senior rebate or deferment, you must be an owner and occupier of the property at 1 July of the year that you are applying in.

Concessions available from registration date:

  • If you hold a Seniors card only, you are entitled to receive up to a 25% capped rebate on rates and Emergency Services Levy. Deferment is not available.
  • Seniors who also hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card are entitled to receive up to a 50% capped rebate on rates and the Emergency Services Levy and/or may be able to defer these two charges each year.
  • Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card holders are entitled to receive up to a 50% capped rebate on rates and the Emergency Services Levy or may be able to defer these two charges each year.
If a pensioner defers their rates, they lose the ability to claim a rebate on those rates i.e. the total balance of the outstanding rates are deferred. No penalties are levied on deferred rates. All other charges including rubbish service charges and pool inspection fees are required to be paid in full by the due date on the rate notice issued each year.

Those pensioners who are eligible to defer their rates and Emergency Services Levy are able to continue to do so whilst they reside in the property. However if circumstances change, the rates may be required to be paid in full. If you wish to find out more please contact our friendly rates team.


How do I apply for a concession?

You can register for a rates concession directly with the Water Corporation either by phoning 1300 659 951 or by registering online here. Once you have applied for the concessions at the Water Corporation, a copy of your application will be forwarded to the City. Please allow up to 10 days for this to occur.

If you wish you can still complete an application at our offices and the City will forward a copy to the Water Corporation on your behalf. Please ensure that you bring all cards with you and all owners with cards sign the application form. 


Information about the concession cards is available from:

WA Seniors Card - Phone 6551 8000, 8:30am – 4:30pm weekdays 

State Concession Card - Phone 13 32 54

Centrelink (Now known as Department of Human Services)
Phone 13 23 00 - Commonwealth Seniors Health Card or Pensioners Concession Card


Events that can affect your pensioner / senior concessions

The Department of Finance has various methods of checking the accuracy of the City’s records to ensure that you are still eligible for concessions. 
If any of the details checked do not match, the claim may be rejected and concessions may be amended or cancelled.

Therefore, some things that pensioners and seniors may need to consider and advise the City about are:

  • Have I changed from a Centrelink pension to a Veteran Affairs pension and not completed a new application?
  • Do I hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card as well as a Seniors Card and am I only registered at the City with my Seniors Card?

  • Has my partner also now received a card and we have not completed a joint application yet?
  • As I am now not working more than 25 hours per week and am over 60, have I applied for a Seniors Card yet?
  • Has the ownership of my property changed recently?
  • Have I moved from one property to another still within the City and not made a new application for concessions yet?

If you work more than 25 hours per week, you are no longer eligible to have the Seniors Card and must return the card to Department of Community Services with a note advising them of your situation.

Unfortunately if concessions are cancelled, pensioners/seniors do not get their rebates again until new applications are made.

Contact Us

Please contact our Rates Department on 9477 7222 if you have any questions.