Pensioners and seniors who meet certain criteria and hold valid cards, may be entitled to claim a rebate concession against the current rates and Emergency Services Levy, or a deferment of the current rates and Emergency Services Levy. Effective from 1 July 2016 the State Government have capped the Pensioner concessions available.
To qualify for a pensioner/senior rebate or deferment, you must be an owner and occupier of the property at 1 July of the year that you are applying in.
- If you only hold a Seniors card, you are entitled to receive up to a 25% capped rebate on rates and Emergency Services Levy. Deferment is not available.
Seniors with a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card are entitled to receive up to a 50% capped rebate on rates and the Emergency Services Levy and or may be able to defer these two charges each year.
- Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card holders are entitled to receive up to a 50% capped rebate on rates and the Emergency Services Levy or may be able to defer these two charges each year.
If a pensioner defers their rates, they lose the ability to claim a rebate on those rates i.e. 100% of the rates are deferred, not 50%. No penalties are levied on deferred rates. All other charges including rubbish service charges and pool inspection fees are required to be paid in full by the due date on the rate notice issued each year.
Those pensioners who are eligible to defer their rates and Emergency Services Levy are able to continue to do so whilst they reside on the property. If you wish to find out more, please contact our friendly rates team.
How do I apply for a concession?
You can register for a rates concession directly with the Water Corporation either by phoning 1300 659 951 or by registering online here. Once you have applied for the concessions at the Water Corporation, a copy of your application will be forwarded to us.
Please allow up to 10 days for this to occur.
If you wish you can still complete an application at our offices and Council will forward a copy to the Water Corporation on your behalf. Please ensure that you bring all cards with you and all owners sign the application form.
Information about the concession cards is available from:
Centrelink - Phone 13 23 00 - Commonwealth Seniors Health Card or Pensioners Concession Card
Events that can affect your pensioner / senior concessions
The Department of Finance has various methods of checking the accuracy of the City’s records to ensure that you are still eligible for concessions.
If any of the details checked do not match, the claim may be rejected and concessions may be required to be cancelled.
Therefore, some things that pensioners and seniors may need to consider and advise the City about are:
Have I changed from a Centrelink pension to a Veteran Affairs pension and not completed a new application?
- Do I hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card as well as a Seniors Card and am I only registered at the City with my senior’s card?
- As I am now not working more than 25 hours per week and am over 60, have I applied for a senior’s card yet?
- Has the ownership of my property changed recently?
- Have I moved from one property to another still within the City and not made a new application for concessions yet?
If you work more than 25 hours per week, you are no longer eligible to have the Seniors Card and must return the card to Department of Local Government and Communities with a note advising them of such.
Unfortunately if concessions are cancelled, pensioners/seniors do not get their rebates again until new applications are made.
Please contact our Rates Department on 9477 7222 if you have any questions.