Memorials in public open space
If you have lost a family member, friend or colleague who you believe made a significant contribution to the City of Belmont community, you can apply to fund a memorial park bench and/or a memorial plaque to be installed in their honour.
Before you apply for a memorial park bench or plaque
Before you apply for a memorial, please note:
- Private memorials can only be placed on land owned by or vested in the City for public recreation purposes, such as parks;
- A memorial park bench will only be added to a space if it is considered necessary, adds to the location and fits the overall purpose of the site;
- The City will not permit the burial or interment of ashes of a deceased person on Council property;
- The memorial shall consist of either a new park bench with a memorial plaque or an individual memorial plaque attached to an existing memorial plaque bench that has been installed as a result of this current policy;
- The cost of the memorial park bench or memorial plaque is set in the City’s Annual Fees and Charges.
To apply, you will need to show that the person you would like to commemorate:
- Lived in the City of Belmont for at least 10 years;
- Contributed to one or more sectors of the community for at least 5 years.
The exception to the above criteria is if someone has passed away at a young age and is unable to meet these requirements.
How to apply
For information on the application process, including the terms and conditions, please read the Application Form
or contact the City’s Parks, Leisure and Environment team on 9477 7257.