Environmentally sustainable design
Belmont Hub has received a 6 Star Green Star
(Public Building) Design and As Built certification. The building was the first project in Western Australian to be certified under the latest version of Green Star rating tool (V1.2), and only the fourth local government project to achieve the 6 Star Green Star (Public Building) Design and As Built rating.
A 6 Star certification demonstrates world leadership in environmentally sustainable building practices. As part of achieving this certification, the design included high levels of outside air, low toxicity finishes, links to local cultural heritage, low water use fittings and a large solar PV array.
The result is a building with a significantly lower environmental footprint than typical whilst providing outstanding levels of amenity for staff and visitors.
Belmont Hub’s environmentally sustainable design features include:
- Natural ventilation system maximises use of fresh air during the day and night purging of hot air;
- 100kW rooftop solar photovoltaic system;
- Integrated Building Management System to monitor power and energy usage;
- LED lighting controlled via an intelligent programmable lighting control system;
- Automatic window and blind adjustment system for temperature regulation.
The certification recognises the commitment to the environment across the organisation of Councillors and staff who have been involved in this project, from the project design through to practical completion, fit-out and post-handover tasks.