Local emergency management
Local governments are not emergency response agencies, but play an integral role in emergency management. It is their responsibility to:
- Establish a local emergency management committee;
- Ensure that local emergency management arrangements are prepared and maintained;
- Implement mitigation strategies;
- Provide what support they can to response agencies during an emergency; and
- Manage local recovery after an emergency.
Local Emergency Management Committee
The City of Belmont and Town of Victoria Park have established a joint local emergency management committee (LEMC) which meets on a regular basis to plan strategies to help prevent emergencies occurring and to be prepared when they do occur.
The LEMC consists of representatives from the following organisations:
- Belmont Forum
- Belmont State Emergency Service
- Boronia Pre-Release Centre
- City of Belmont
- Crown Perth
- Curtin University
- Department of Communities
- Department of Fire and Emergency Services
- District Emergency Management Committee
- Optus Stadium
- Perth Airport
- Perth Freight Terminal
- Perth Racing
- Town of Victoria Park
- WA Police (Belmont, Cannington and Kensington stations)
- Western Power
Local Emergency Management Arrangements
The City of Belmont and the Town of Victoria Park Local Emergency Management Arrangements
have been compiled to address those areas where the City and Town provide support to hazard management agencies and other agencies in the event of an emergency. The arrangements also address their responsibility for recovery operations.
These Arrangements are designed to assist in the structuring of the local governments’ response assistance and recovery to multiple disasters and therefore are broad in nature rather than a detailed response / recovery plan.
Download the Belmont/Victoria Park Local Emergency Management Arrangements
In the event of a disaster, the City of Belmont may assist the Department of Communities in opening up an evacuation centre. The location would be advised through our website and the Emergency WA website