Language, translation and other support
The City of Belmont offers a range of services and support for members of the community who need help with speaking English.
Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS)
If you need to discuss any City matters and need an interpreter, you can:
- Phone 131 450 for Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS) National;
- Say the language you need, when asked by the automated system;
- Say the language you need again when you are connected to a TIS National operator;
- Stay on the phone while the operator finds an available interpreter for you;
- The operator will connect you with an interpreter in the language you asked for.
Once you are speaking with an interpreter, you will be asked for:
- Your name;
- The organisation and phone number you need (in this case, the City of Belmont on 9477 7222).
Stay on the line while the operator connects you and the interpreter to the service.
Western Australia ‘I need an Interpreter’ Card
If you find it hard to communicate in English, this card will let us know that you need an interpreter.
You can collect a card at the City’s Civic Centre front desk and at Ruth Faulkner Library.
Information on the WA ‘I need an Interpreter’ Card is available in the City's top ten languages.
See the below link for the translated instructions:
Information in other languages can also be found on the Office of Multicultural Interests website
Programs and training
English conversation classes
If you would like to improve your English-speaking skills, join the City’s free adult conversation classes at the Ruth Faulkner Library.
Classes are run by volunteers who create a fun and friendly learning environment. For dates and times, please visit the Events Calendar
Learning English Through Story Time (LETS) program
You could meet other families and improve your English through songs, rhymes and interactive activities in these family workshops.
Classes are designed for families who are new to the City of Belmont, with children aged 2 to 4 years old. Please phone the library on 9477 7150 to book your place.
Resume writing support
At any stage in your career, a great resume will improve your chances of an interview by highlighting your relevant skills and experience.
If you would like help with your resume, book your place in a free resume-writing support session on:
- Monday from 1:30pm to 3:30pm
- Wednesday from 9:30am to 11:30am
- Thursday from 9:30am - 11:30am
To book an appointment, please complete the Resume Writing Application Form
and send it to the City’s Cultural Engagement Officer by email at email@example.com
or phone 9477 7219.