Your Neighbour community grant
The City of Belmont ‘Your Neighbour Community Grant’ Initiative provides financial assistance (up to $250) for local residents and groups to hold small neighbourhood gatherings. The aim of the grant is to encourage social interaction and develop a strong community atmosphere.
Please note, the Your Neighbour Community Grant is limited (see point 14 of the terms and conditions). Please read the full terms and conditions before applying.
What the neighbourhood gathering needs to include?
What can I spend the grant money on?
- Neighbours must live on the same street and in close proximity of each other (within 100m)
- A minimum of four households must attend
- The event needs to be held in your front yard behind your letterbox. Pending approval, in some situations, public places will be considered such as nearby parks and reserves.
Funding can be used to purchase goods and services such as:
- BBQ gas bottle refill
- Party games and entertainment
- Food and beverages (no alcohol)
- Eco-friendly disposable cutlery, plates and cups (see point 9 of the terms and conditions)
The City of Belmont has a membership to the Belmont Toy Library where you can access a range of toys and resources for your event. To view their range, check out their website
. Please inform us in your application if you would like to make use of this service.
How does it work?
- Apply for grant - Complete the application form at least 4 weeks before the event. You will be advised if your application is successful within 10 working days.
- Hold the event - Keep receipts and take photos.
- Complete the Your Neighbour Grant Reimbursement and Acquittal Form - You will be notified if your event has been approved within 10 working days
- Provide bank account details - You will receive a payment of up to $250 typically within 7-14 days.
Example of funded neighbourhood gatherings
- A BBQ in your front yard
- A neighbourhood meet and greet
- A gathering for residents in a new residential complex
Apply for a Your Neighbour Grant
Complete an online application form
Alternatively, download and complete Your Neighbour application form
and email firstname.lastname@example.org
to lodge your application.
- Neighbours must live on the same street or in close proximity to each other (i.e. immediate households within a 100m radius of your actual house) or within the same set of units/apartment block section.
- A minimum of 4 households must attend the event in order to be eligible for the grant.
- ‘Your Neighbour’ gatherings must be held on private land that is visible from the street such as in a front yard but not on the Council verge.
- Applications for gatherings in back yards will not be supported. In situations where the nominated residence does not have an adequate front yard or where the nature and scale of the proposed gathering requires, an event on public property (for example, in a park or reserve), will be considered.
- If the nature and the scale of the proposed gathering is deemed too large for a ‘Your Neighbour’ gathering, the applicant can reference documents in the following link relating to public event applications (www.belmont.wa.gov.au/publicevents).
- Should multiple individuals living in close proximity apply for a grant in the same timeframe, they will be encouraged to collaborate on a combined event.
- Applicants must complete the application form and agree to all the terms and conditions at least 4 weeks prior to the event date.
- Funds cannot be used for the purchase of alcohol. The City encourages the purchase of healthy food choices.
- Funds can be used to purchase goods and services that enable a neighbourhood gathering (for example a BBQ gas bottle refill, party games, eco-friendly disposable cutlery, plates and cups, food, drink and entertainment).
- The ‘Your Neighbour’ grant will be paid to the applicant after the City receives receipts of purchases, a feedback form, photographs of the event and is satisfied that the applicant has met the agreed terms and conditions.
- Successful applicants can apply for a reimbursement of up to a maximum of $250 for an approved event. The amount reimbursed will be determined through the acquittal process which requires evidence of the number of attendees and the extent of the effort undertaken to promote the event amongst neighbours.
- Receipts of purchases, photographs and feedback form must be returned to the City within 10 business days of the date of the ‘Your Neighbour’ event.
- The City reserves the right to cancel the funding and grant arrangements at any time. The City will not be liable for any cost incurred by the grant recipient.
- A residence can apply for a maximum of ONE ‘Your Neighbour’ grant per financial year. Please note that ‘Your Neighbour’ grants are limited and only available until such time the annual allocation of funds is exhausted.
- Each application is judged on merit, however as the funding is limited, if you have received funding previously and the City receives a high number of applications, the funding will be allocated in priority of need.
- Residents must not charge for the event.
- The City of Belmont will not be held responsible for loss or injury as a result of the activity/event.